The Chocolate Life on Clubhouse Weeks 1-16 Archive
This is an unmaintained page except for comments. All future updates will be posts for each week. The current week’s post will be pinned to left-most position in the top rail on the home page.
Calendars and Resources
There is a week-by-week shared resource repository available to all. Inside each week’s folder is a Gdoc file with each CH Room’s Featured Topic, links to any websites and other resources mentioned, and a list of files (e.g. PDFs) that have been uploaded into that week’s folder.
The repository is a good place to visit before each Room starts to see if there are links and resources that will be referred to during the room. (Pre-show homework, if you’re up for it.)
Here is the shortcut link to the main folder that lists each week’s folder:
Featured Topics for the Week of July 5th
Episodes 16.01~16.04 (75-78)
- Week 16 Resource Folder
- Monday July 5th – No Room Today – Independence Day (US) Holiday
- Tuesday – Supply Webs: Connecting Consumers with Farmers.
- Wednesday – Have You Been Ponoed?
- Thursday – “Chocolate in NYC: A Golden Age 1850-1900” with Michael Laiskonis.
- Friday – Co-Packing/Co-Manufacturing w/ Christian Tyler.
Featured Topics for the Week of June 28th
Episodes 15.01~15.05 (70-74)
- Week 15 Resource Folder
- Monday – “Fair” Trade – Who Decides What’s Fair?
- Tuesday – Cocoa Supply Chains – Linking Farmers & Consumers.
- Wednesday – Deep Dive: Cocoa Powder suggested by Rosemary Daly who posed the question, “Why did Valrhona remove ‘100% Cocoa’ from the front of their cocoa powder packaging?”
- Thursday – A History of Chocolate in a NY state of mind: A Second Revolution: Chocolate in New York City, 1800-1850 w/ Michael Laiskonis.
- Friday – The Future of Chocolate.
Featured Topics for the Week of June 21st
Episodes 14.01~14.05 (65-69)
- Week 14 Resource Folder
- MONDAY – A Dark Side to bean-to-bar/craft/artisan chocolate.
- TUESDAY – Truth or Consequences: Origin Stories.
- WEDNESDAY – Is Aging Chocolate a (Good) Thing?
- THURSDAY – Chocolate in NYC 1750-1800: A Consuming Culture ›› Podcast ‹‹
- FRIDAY – Mass Balance Deep Dive – What it is and what it means.
Featured Topics for the Week of June 14th
Episodes 13.01~13.05 (60-64)
- Week 13 Resource Folder
- VIP Clubhouse Join links are room-specific. They expire once the room has ended. Use the link (on your phone) to jump the waitlist, create a CH account, join the club, and RSVP to the room.
- MONDAY – Wine & Chocolate hosted by David Greenwood-Haigh with special guest Judith Lewis.
- TUESDAY – On Beyond Chocolate: Upcycling!
- WEDNESDAY – Why Belgium?
- THURSDAY – The History of Chocolate 1750 – present-day viewed from New York. This room will be an introduction into a weekly five-part series of rooms looking at specific eras in the history of chocolate “in a New York state of mind” – with Michael Laiskonis, Creative Director of the Institute of Culinary Education and ex- Executive Pastry Chef of Tribute and Le Bernardin. ›› Podcast ‹‹
- FRIDAY – ¡Not! SharkTank w/ FZ Hakam of Zora Chocolate (Morocco/US).
Featured Topics for the Week of June 7th
Episodes 12.01~12.05 (55-59)
- Week 12 Resource Folder
- MONDAY – Packaging: The Good, The Bad, and The ... with David Greenwood-Haigh.
- TUESDAY – Origins: Venezuela w/ Claudia Franceschi, Corina Gimenez, and Mariana de la Rosa.
- WEDNESDAY – Nestlé USA & Cargill USA vs John Doe. A ruling is anticipated in the US Supreme Court — ›› Podcast ‹‹
- THURSDAY – 3D Printing Chocolate
- FRIDAY – alt.sweet (Alternative Sweeteners)
Featured Topics for the Week of May 31st
Episodes 11.01~11.05 (51-54)
- Week 11 Resource Folder
- MONDAY – NO ROOM – Memorial Day
- TUESDAY – Communicating Sustainability w/ Leo Palmer of Twenty Degrees Cacao.
- WEDNESDAY – Understanding Consumer Perception of Craft Chocolate.
- THURSDAY – Is “Craft” Chocolate The Future (of chocolate)?
- FRIDAY – Deep Dive: Fermentation.
Featured Topics for the Week of May 24th
Episodes 10.01~10.05 (46-50)
- Week 10 Resource Folder
- VIP Invite links are room-specific they expire once the room has finished.
- MONDAY – Deep Dive: How to Perfect Pairings
- TUESDAY – The Perfect Workshop Pt 1: Estimating Production
- WEDNESDAY – The Perfect Workshop Pt 2: Grand Designs
- THURSDAY – Tackling Poverty
- FRIDAY – Characterizing the World Cocoa Markets
Featured Topics for the Week of May 17th
Episodes 09.01~09.05 (41-45)
- Week 9 Resource Folder
- MONDAY – Origins: Colombia with César Aguilar of Cacaitos Colombian Cacao
- TUESDAY – Barbecue and Chocolate (w/ David Greenwood-Haigh)
- WEDNESDAY – The Influence of Color on Taste (w/ David Greenwood-Haigh)
- THURSDAY – Trendy Trends Trending – Hype, Hope, or Hapless?
- FRIDAY – Equipment Confessions (w/ Christian Tyler)
Featured Topics for the Week of May 10th
Episodes 08.01~08.05 (36-40)
- Week 8 Resource Folder
- MONDAY – Origins: Ecuador with featured guest Jenny Samaniego, founder of Conexión Chocolate and founder and co-organizer of the Cacao and Chocolate Summit. ›› Podcast ‹‹
- TUESDAY – My Best Mistake(s)
- WEDNESDAY – Blending (is your friend)
- THURSDAY – What is Quality?
- FRIDAY – Educating Children (about cocoa and chocolate)
Featured Topics for the Week of May 3rd
Episodes 07.01~07.05 (31-35)
Introducing David Greenwood-Haigh as Club Admin/Co-host
- Week 7 Resource Folder
- MONDAY – Origins: Prehistory
- TUESDAY – Weirdest Flavor Combinations
- WEDNESDAY – Is Chocolate Dangerous?
- THURSDAY – On Beyond Bean to Bar
- FRIDAY – Chocolate’s Biggest Marketing Blunders
Featured Topics for the Week of April 26th
Episodes 06.01~06.05 (26-30)
- Week 6 Resource Folder
- MONDAY – Origins: Panama w/ Lyn Bishop, a cacao farmer and chocolate maker on Panama’s Pacific Coast
- TUESDAY – Deep Dive: Conching
- WEDNESDAY – Deep Dive: Couverture w/ David Greenwood-Haigh
- THURSDAY – Deep Dive: CocoTerra Chocolate Maker w/ Nate Saal, CocoTerra’s founder
- FRIDAY – Tasting, Rating & Reviewing Chocolate — ››Podcast‹‹
Featured Topics for the Week of April 19th
Episodes 05.01~05.05 (21-25)
- Week 5 Resource Folder
- MONDAY – Origins: Grenada with Aaron Sylvester
- TUESDAY – What Were They Thinking? (about head-scratching new products)
- WEDNESDAY – Is GMO in Cocoa a Thing?
- THURSDAY – Innovating in Cocoa and Chocolate w/ Special Guests
- FRIDAY – How Chocolate Gets Its Taste: Nature v Nurture w/ Special Guest Eric Reid of SPAGnVOLA Chocolatier.
Featured Topics for the Week of April 12th
Episodes 04.01~04.05 (16-20)
- Week 4 Resource Folder
- MONDAY – ORIGINS: Jamaica with Nick Davis/One One Cacao. The first in a new weekly series that will feature a cocoa grower and/or chocolate maker from an origin country talking about history, business, traditional uses for cacao, the unique challenges and opportunities they face, and more.
- TUESDAY – Awards Programs; The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Part 2.
- WEDNESDAY – A look at the economics of being a boutique cocoa trader through an examination of the numbers presented in their annual transparency report.
- WEDNESDAY CHOCOLATE COLLAB ROOM w/ F&B Magazine on Clubhouse FOHBOH is not the same as FOMO – how can the worlds of specialty chocolate and hospitality work together to integrate chocolate in ways that enhance the dining experience? That and more from @ 21:00 EDT until ...? in a members-only room hosted by F&B Magazine.
- THURSDAY – Important inventions in the history of chocolate.
- FRIDAY – The Business of Chocolate.
Featured Topics for the Week of April 5th
Episodes 03.01~03.05 (11-15)
- Week 3 Resource Folder
- MONDAY: Easter Chocolate Traditions
- TUESDAY: Awards Programs: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
- WEDNESDAY: Tony’s Oh-So-Lonely: A Deep Dive
- THURSDAY: Former Slaves vs Big Chocolate
- FRIDAY: One World Chocolate
Featured Topics for the Week of March 29th
Episodes 02.01~02.05 (06-10)
- Week 2 Resource Folder
- MONDAY: Ethical Purchasing Scorecards
- TUESDAY: Tasting Secrets of International Chocolate Judges / Parosmia
- WEDNESDAY: Humpday AMAA (Ask Me Almost Anything)
- THURSDAY: Special Guest: Frederick Schilling
- FRIDAY: Ghana Throws Down a Gauntlet
Featured Topics for the Week of March 22nd
Episodes 01.01~01.05 (01-05)
- Week 1 Resource Folder
- MONDAY: First Room!
- TUESDAY: Innovation
- WEDNESDAY: Influences / Mentors
- THURSDAY: Health claims (raw, paleo, and more)
- FRIDAY: Tea and Labels with co-moderator Amy Dubin of Janam Tea
Featured image credit: Original by Super Straho on Unsplash