List Of Equipment Required For Small Scale Chocolate Business

List Of Equipment Required For Small Scale Chocolate Business

@Larry2
05/29/13 08:14:58PM

We are still a very young company, but have been able to get going with a usedHilliard Little Dipper tempering machine, a fist full of dipping forks, & cups/boxes I was able to secure. We make cream centers and are building up the ability to produce more volume.

Short list of equipment

– Book by P. Greweling *Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner* – It’s fantastic and will really help. The latest edition has info on setting upa chocolate shop.
– Tempering Machine (Many will say this is optional, but make your life easier & spring for it.)
– Depending on if you’ll do Ganache, Cream Fondant, Caramels… you’ll need different pots, kettles. You’ll be the best judge here.
– Dipping Forks
– Molds as you suggested.
– We have used a Square & iPhoneto process credit/debit cards. It works fine.
– Discovering that caramel will not stick to buttered parchment paper was a fantastic discovery for us.
– A good thermometer or two
– Refrigerator
– Fire extinguisher
– Panning equipment (optional)
– Display cases – Refrigeration may be needed
– ?? Humidity Controlled Display Cases??
– A caramel cutter (rolling pin style) is useful, but you can get by with a knife & ruler.
– Assorted bowls, measuring spoons, cups, scale…
– wax paper

Please forgive the disjointed list. Just to re-emphasis the book I listed above has been a great help to me and many others.

Thanks!
Larry

Archived Comments

@TheChocolateMan
05/30/13 03:07:

Hi Larry,
Thanks for the valuable info. I will buy the book and am sure it will be helpful. When did you start your chocolate business?
TheChocolateman

@Andal Balu
06/02/13 10:03:27PM

Do you want to start from couverture or from beans?

@TheChocolateMan
06/03/13 12:33:24AM

I am kinda new in this industry, hence would like to start from couverture.

@Larry2
06/03/13 12:21:16PM

Chocolate has been a family tradition for years and years, but we started selling last October.

@TheChocolateMan
06/10/13 05:32:18AM

Thanks, appreciate your honest reply.

@Lisa Morley
01/14/14 05:16:13PM

Hi Larry — Do you use your caramel cutter for ganache slabs? I’m just starting up a little chocolate business myself and if possible would prefer to not shell out thousands on a guitar cutter if I can just use a caramel cutter.

Cheers
Lisa

@Chocotoymaker
01/14/14 08:43:46PM

You can just as easily use a pairing knife and a ruler. A little bit of practice and you,ll be able to get at least 100 square in 20 cuts. Total investment $ 5.

@Larry2
01/15/14 02:39:23PM

All our centers are fondant, so I can’t really speak to how it would do for ganache.

With the fondant, we just use the caramel cutter to score the fondant and caramel, then cut it with a long chef’s knife.
A guitar cutter is on my short list of equipment to buy though. I dream of how much time could be save with a guitar.

@GretaHass
04/18/17 02:32:16AM

Sounds good in this thread, hmm. Any recipes to shareeee.. πŸ˜€

Comments

Sign in or become a The Chocolate Life member to join the conversation.
Just enter your email below to get a log in link.

You've successfully subscribed to The Chocolate Life
Great! Next, complete checkout for full access to The Chocolate Life
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.
Success! Your billing info is updated.
Billing info update failed.